Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Alligators, Old Mink and New Money by Allison Houtte

I'm not sure why I picked up this book. But, it was in Scribd, and I do have a subscription, so I thought I'd take a chance on it.

At first, I thought this book was going to be about Allison's modelling career, but turns out, it's about running a vintage shop. Allison's shop Hooti Couture sounds fun, even though I don't generally have luck with vintage and/or second hand clothes. I look awful in them. Must be my lack of fashion sense.

Each chapter of this book starts with a small vignette, and then it enters the real topic. It could be about the shop, about a certain aspect of vintage selling, a great find, anything. It's roughly chronologically arranged, but it feels more like a series of snapshots rather than an autobiography of a store.

I quite enjoyed this book. The author sounds like a really fun person, and I'd love to meet her someday. The only thing I wish the book has is more photos. She describes all these outfits, and it makes me want to see them.

Hmm... this review is short even by my standards. I suppose it does sum up this book - it's a light and fluffy read. You won't learn any deep business or fashion principles, but it is a good distraction if you need one.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^