Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Never Underestimate a Hermit Crab by David Sean Kaye

Do you know that Hermit Crabs can do all sorts of things? Yes they can. Well, probably not the things in this book though.

I requested this book from NetGalley because it sounded cute. And it is, it's full of whimsical pictures with not much of a plot, just random descriptive sentences of hermit crabs. It appeals to the child in me.

Was this book cute? Yes.

Was this book funny? Most of the time.

I believe that to a younger child/the target audience, this book will be entertaining. But if you're a child-at-heart looking for a cute children's book that adults/older folk can read (see Dr. Seuss, especially Oh The Places You'll Go), you may find this a bit too simplistic. If the pictures and/or comments were much more exaggerated, I would have been more amused. As it stands now, hermit crabs just seem like people in crab form.

But this is really my fault for wrongly guessing the kind of book it'll be. It's a charming book and if I was back in Singapore/had child ESL students, I'll definitely be reading this book to them.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^