Monday, July 8, 2013

Demigods and Monsters (An Anthology)

I admittedly have a very on-off relationship with the Percy Jackson series. I probably saw The Lightning Thief in a Popular bookstore a long long time ago. Unfortunately, the only thing I remembered was a tagline that went something like "half-boy, half-god, all hero". How I managed to find the series again is something I still don't understand.

And when I finally read the first book, well I loved it! But then, left the series alone (I don't actually own any of the books - I think my sister has one as a present though, I remember reading it). It seems like if I can get my hands on a copy, I read it and enjoy myself immensely, but if I can't, well, life goes on.

But I do know what the series is about - and I think that this companion book is perfect not just for fans, but for anyone interested in Greek Mythology. You see, while the book does analyse/talk about the Percy Jackson series, they also cover a lot about Greek Mythology - for example, would you want to take the vow or Artemis?

I might have gone on a myth-reading kick in Secondary School, but this book still managed to give out a lot of interesting things that I didn't know off. Including Mayan Mythology - that sounds really interesting (yes, it appears, but I won't tell you why(; )

At the end of the book is an A-Z guide to the different characters in Greek Myth (not just the Percy Jackson series). Personally, I found it very interesting, but it's something that you should read in small bites, not in one go.

This review is more of me and my relationship to the Percy Jackson series. Oops. Anyway, I really like this book, and I heartily recommend it.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^