Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver

Alright, what do you think of the death penalty? If you're American, I have a feeling you might be opposed to it. At least, that was the impression I got when the Walmart clerk started criticising Singapore's death penalty (at about 2am in the morning, when we just arrived).

For me, I don't know. I don't have any objections, but then again. I don't know anyone who was sentenced to death. What I see is the death penalty given to drug mules, murderers and the like. Not exactly people that you can sympathise with easily.

But in The Execution of Noa P. Singleton, you get a very clever book that slowly shifts your thinking around. I started out the book thinking that Noa was annoying, but I ended the book sympathising with her (or at least, I found another character to despise even more).

Noa is... not immediately likable. She comes across as cynical. And rude. And basically my opposite. Plus, she admits to killing the victim (and her child). But as she tells her story, I realised that inside, she's a softy. She's just cynical because of her childhood. And as cliched as that sounded when I typed it out, it was actually quite moving when I was reading the book.

Plus, I hate it when someone games the system. It was so obvious (as the book progressed), that Noa never stood a chance. She was up against a person influential enough to make sure she dies. And no, this is not a happy-ending book when all is revealed.

All in all, I think this is a good book. It's engaging and thought provoking. There's quite a few f-bombs, so coupled with the dark subject matter, I'd only recommend it for mature people.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^