Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

I recently reviewed The Distant Hours (review was posted on another site) and now, I finished her latest book The Secret Keeper! To me, the books just get better and better. The Secret Keeper is dreamy, romantic and has a good mystery in it.

Like The Distant Hours, The Secret Keeper has a daughter (Laurel), investigating into her mother's (Dorothy) past. Because there are some things that Laurel can never hope to find out, the book alternates between war-time London and the present. As to the secret - well, when she was a teenager, Laurel saw her mother kill a stranger. And now that her mother is dying, she wants to find out why. And who is "Ma" anyway?

To me, the book shone because of the war-time London plot. The main characters were Dolly (Dorothy), Vivien and Jimmy, with a few supporting characters that played fairly important roles. It's a well-written story that has romance, friendship and revenge. To me, it was a very well-written story about how human emotions work.

As for the present-day plot, it's basically a mystery. Like The Distant Hours, as the plot progresses, the two sub-plots intertwine. To me, the plot in The Secret Keeper is actually superior to The Distant Hours. There are many twists and turns, all of them unexpected but believable. Especially the last plot twist. It was really unexpected, but wasn't over-stretched (I will never forget the plot twist where everything was blamed on the sudden appearance of an evil twin. I've forgotten the book and plot, but not this part ._.).

If you like Kate Morton's writing, you'll definitely love this book. It's quite long (over 400 pages on the iPad), but that shouldn't stop you. The book is engrossing and really pulls you in.

Disclaimer: I got this book free from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

1 comment :

  1. This book was amazing! Maybe kates best yet! As this was the last of her books that I read, I found this one started differently but within a few pages I was hooked. Whatever book she writes next, I will be reading it. I will definitely be on the look out! I hope you are writing right now Kate!

    Micky Johnson (Dallas SEO)

    ReplyDelete

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^