Sunday, September 9, 2012

Margaret and the Moth Tree by Brit Trogen and Kari Trogen

For some reason, I had the thought "my childhood!" when reading this book. It reminded me of the books I loved (and still love) to read as a child. Ah, my childhood, days of Enid Blyton, The Bookworm Gang and a bunch of stories whose titles I have forgotten but plot sticks in my head. (People around my age should know what I mean ;) )

On a side note: does anyone know how to find the title of a book from the plot?

At a short seventy-plus pages, you may thing that there's not much. But this story grabbed my attention from the very start. The plot is also much more than what you would expect from the story. It's about orphans with pluck (the most important thing), a cruel villianess and an unexpected ally.

Margaret, the protagonist, is a lovable character. She's still a child, and she's living in the difficult circumstances I associate with books and Disney movies. But, she has a special gift - listening. It sounds boring, but the authors have managed to make it a useful and interesting talent. Plus, I was really happy to see that she got this gift not through magic or birthright, but her circumstances. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons!

I shall not spoil this book, because if I keep talking, I will probably give away something important about the plot. But I will say that you should really read this sweet and short book. If you have sisters/juniors/kids, even better! You can get this book for them too!

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^