Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Enchanted Truth by Kym Petrie (ARC)

This book was subtitled - A Modern Fairy Tale for Grown Up Girls. Of course, I had to try and read it, after all, it's about fairy-tales. This book is really short (less than 50 pages) so I'll sum it up in one sentence for you - it's sweet but kind of insipid.

The whole motive of this story is that we shouldn't depend on a guy to make us happy. It's a moral that I certainly agree with, but I think you could make a more entertaining story by making this more like a chic-lit book than by writing it like a traditional fairy tale. Why? Because there's very little conflict (there's self-discovery, but it comes with little to no conflict), and that makes the book fairly boring.

In addition, the world building was confused. Is this the traditional fairy tale? But then there are elements of the modern world. Is it a mix of the two? Well, it's not very clearly said, although I suspect that it's meant to be a fairy-tale world with echos of ours, but it did confuse me a little bit.

To sum it up, I would say that this book is one you read when you really need to hammer in the message that "I don't need a guy to make me complete". If you're looking for something light to read, then well, there are other books.

Disclaimer: I got this book free from NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^