Thursday, May 5, 2011

What I learnt today(:

Today, I was, for an inexplicable reason, was reading Harvard Business Review's "Collaborating across Silos". Well, I actually really like Harvard Business Review because it's a good way to revise business concepts, see how they apply to the real world and well, reading is reading(:

The only thing in the entire book I didn't understand was the word "silos". The weak point of the book was that they didn't provide the definition, which is a communication weakness I learnt about (hooray for application!). So, what I learnt today, was the definition of "silos", which I had to learn from a business dictionary. So, the "Silo mentality" is:

A mind-set present in some companies when certain departments or sectors do not wish to share information with others in the same company. This type of mentality will reduce the efficiency of the overall operation, reduce morale, and may contribute to the demise of a productive company culture.

(I would cite in APA format, but I've forgotten ): )

Other than that, what I read in the book is a review and expansion of what I learnt earlier, but not so applicable for this blog (being so different from running a business).

The book I read yesterday, but couldn't blog about (due to time constraints) was a detective story called "The Paris Enigma". I don't really feel like giving away the plot, and since it's a detective story, it does follow a 'set formula' or 'prototype'.

But what I liked about the book, was that it gave many 'mini-cases' in the form of the twelve detectives (an elite group) old cases. I read some people complaining about how it detracts/distracts the story, but I thought that it added to the meaning of the role of a detective.

The only "complaint" that I have is that the Japanese detective (Sakawa I believe), doesn't get as much space as the others (by others I mean protagonists). His story about 'grasshopper murderers' (those that use insinuations to murder others) is very good and gave me a lot of food for thought.

I'd recommend Reading this book because it's fairly thought provoking, and does not contain any offensive material (bad language and such). But I would forewarn impressionable people that cults do feature in the book, although not very prominently(:

No comments :

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate all comments, and I'll try my best to reply within 24 hours!

^_^